Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Books

I'm not sure what the last book was that I read cover to cover, but I have got to share a couple of books with you! One of my dear friends has been a great source of wisdom for me. She has loaned me several books over the last few weeks and I am amazed at the information they contain. I can not help but share them with you. Now, I have not finished any of them yet because I am flipping back and forth between a couple and waiting for my own copies to arrive so I can mark in them, but so far they have really challenged me.

The Power of Enough is one book. This book has challenged me to clean out my clothing and really consider every item that I think about buying, including food. It has also challenged me to save more financially. I have really struggled with being content while we've been in Oklahoma and this book seems to have helped me put things in their place. I'm sure my husband's prayers have also contributed to this contentment and I am thankful for both!

The second book that I can't get enough of is: Managers of Their Homes by Steven and Terri Maxwell. This book has already done wonders for how productive my days are. The Maxwell's encourage scheduling out your whole day along with the kiddos. I am only doing a little bit of preschool, so the homeschooling part is not extremely applicable at this point, but the schedule of planned activities is! I have gotten more done by 8:30 a.m. the last two mornings than I have gotten done in several whole days! Including cleaning my back door, vacuuming and cleaning the bathrooms. What a way to start the week! Every family could benefit from this book. Especially those of you with little ones!

One book that I am just scratching the surface on is Parenting in the Pews. It comes highly recommended and I am anxious to see how it will work for our little fireball. The sub-title is something along the lines of leading your children toward a heart for worship. We keep Canon in the sanctuary with us, by choice, and I want him to learn about Jesus and sitting quietly, but I am just not sure where to start. I am hoping, and have heard, that this book can help. I'll let you know.

The last book that I am still waiting for is Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp. This one has come highly recommended by three families completely unrelated to each other. I can not wait for it to arrive!

So, with our new schedule I am finally getting some much needed reading in and hope to had in some sewing in the next few days. Please let me know if you try out any of these books.....we could have a little book club!

2 comments:

Erica said...

Thanks for posting the book recommendation on my blog...we have a lot to learn as we enter this homeschool world!!! and reading this post, I will tell you that the Tripp book is amazing. A must for anyone with kids!!!

Oh, and I noticed all the Mars Hill bands on your profile! HA--you go girl!

Lisa said...

We borrowed the DVD series by Tripp called "The Case for Kids." We haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but the Stouffer's said it was really good and I've heard his book is excellent as well. I'm looking forward to watching it and may have to get the book too.